Sunday 26 June 2011

Rafael Nadal - I'll Never Turn Nasty For Mac

RAFA NADAL resisted the thunderbolt serving of Gilles Muller to cruise through another round of Wimbledon – and then resisted the suggestion from John McEnroe that modern tennis stars should stop being nice to each other.

Rafa Nadal overcame the hard-hitting Muller 7-6, 7-6, 6-0, proving stronger mentally in the tight tie-breaks and then romping home in style.

It was a comfortable victory, delayed overnight by rain, and has set up a formidable fourth-round showdown against former US Open winner Juan Martin Del Potro.

A tough match, yes. But it will also be a friendly rivalry as Nadal resolutely rebuffed the view of McEnroe and another veteran, Jimmy Connors, that tennis would be better with more aggravation between players.

“I think it is better these days,” said the current world No1. “I think it is good to show an example for the kids. If they see us fight each other every week, they will probably be the same in future. In my opinion, that is not a good way for the world to work.

“Tennis is just a game. What happens outside the court (personal friendships) doesn’t affect what happens on court. We can talk together in the locker room and it won’t affect us 10 minutes later when we are playing.

“Maybe the opinion of past champions, who had more troubles between each other, is different but this is my opinion.”

Nadal also believes this may be one of the hardest men’s titles to win in the long history of Wimbledon.

Asked to compare past times to the present, he said: “Before now, I don’t think we have had the top four players being as solid as they are today. If you don’t play at your very best it’s difficult to be in the top positions. At Wimbledon you can’t be sure what will happen. I don’t know if I will win against Del Potro, and every day anything can happen.

“Djokovic, Federer and Murray are playing well, but matches are not easy to win. I had to save two set points in the first set against Muller.”

Nadal is trying to win his third Wimbledon title in four years, and there was one small cloud on his horizon yesterday with confirmation that he has a slight leg injury.

“I felt the leg muscle a little bit,” said Nadal. “But it’s not limiting my game. I can play without problems.”

Courtesy: Daily Express

No comments:

Post a Comment