Monday 24 January 2011

Match report from Official Website

World No.1 Rafael Nadal is through to the quarterfinals of Australian Open 2011 after a straight sets demolition of Croatian Marin Cilic, 6-2, 6-4, 6-3.

Nadal, looking considerably more comfortable in the steamy conditions of Rod Laver Arena than he did on Saturday night against Bernard Tomic, pressured the Croatian from the off-set, pushing him to deuce on his opening service game. Although Cilic held on, it was merely delaying the inevitable, as Nadal broke twice to take the first set in just under an hour.

Cilic made more of a contest in the second set, keeping on serve with Nadal throughout, only for the Spaniard to break in the penultimate game and serve out the set. The third set also featured a late break of serve, Nadal breaking to go ahead 4-3, and then again to win the set and the match 6-3.

Despite hitting 32 winners to Nadal's 26, Cilic was let down by his 48 unforced errors to the Spaniard's 21.

"Before the match I was a little bit nervous, I know how aggressive he can play, this kind of player he is very very dangerous. I tried to play with high intensity all the time, and I'm very happy because I think I played my best match here at Australian Open.

"I'm not sweating so much, the other days I was sweating like crazy, so today was the first day I really felt perfect physically, so that's the most important thing."

Sky Sports

No comments:

Post a Comment