Sunday 28 November 2010

No excuses from Rafael Nadal

Good lad :)  Not sure it would of been the same had the result been reversed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rafael Nadal refused to use fatigue as an excuse on Sunday after his incredible year ended in defeat by Roger Federer at the ATP World Tour Finals.

The 24-year-old world number one played one of the matches of the year to battle past Andy Murray in a three-hour semi-final but he found Federer in sensational form as he went down 6-3 3-6 6-1 in one hour 37 minutes.

"I think is not the right moment to talk about that," Nadal told reporters when asked if he was suffering physically against the 16-times grand slam champion.

"The thing is everybody saw the match yesterday, so everybody's free to think his own opinion.

"But I'm not gonna say I lost the match because I was tired. What I'm gonna say and what I feel is I lost the match because I played against a very good Roger Federer on one of his favourite surfaces. When he's playing like this, it's very difficult to stop him. I had chances, but not enough."

Rather than dwell on his defeat, Nadal preferred to look back on a year he described as the most "emotional" of his career.

After going 11 months without a title he returned to form in Monte Carlo in the Spring, winning on the Riviera clay for a sixth consecutive year, and the confidence flooded back.

From then on he was virtually unstoppable, winning the French Open and Wimbledon back-to-back for a second time and completing his career grand slam by winning the U.S. Open.

It was all a stark contrast to 12 months ago at the London finale when he failed to win a set in three matches.

"This was a fantastic week for me," Nadal said. "Beating four top-eight players in the same week on a difficult surface for me. I think that's never happened in the past.

"There have been a lot important moments for me during the season. I think it was a very emotional season.

"There were difficult moments in the beginning, but after a tough time, I was able to play with ambition all the season and I managed to have chances to win and keep winning.

"Once I won the first tournament in Monte Carlo, everything was easier, all the pressure and anxiety left and I started to play really well."

Courtesy: Yahoo

No comments:

Post a Comment