Thursday 25 November 2010

Djokovic - Unlucky or hypochondriac?

Novak Djokovic can now add irritation of the eye to a long list of ailments after the Serb complained of struggling to see during his ATP World Tour Finals round-robin defeat to Rafael Nadal. The world No 3 is becoming renown for his on-court battles with illness and injury posing the question is he really an unlucky victim of injury woe or simply a hypochondriac?

Australian Open, 2010:
Djokovic laments a case of gastroenteritis after losing his Australian Open quarter-final 7-6, 6-7, 1-6, 6-3, 6-1 to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.

What he said: "I don't want to find excuses for my loss, but, you know, I went to vomit and I had diarrhoea before the match. After two games (of the fourth set) I had to go to the toilet. I couldn't hold on. There was no way, otherwise I would throw up on the court... just a terrible feeling."

Wimbledon, 2010:
Serb limps to 7-5, 6-4, 3-6, 6-4 fourth-round win over Lleyton Hewitt despite suffering with stomach problems and a fever.

Hewitt said: "He's always got something. He looked fine again in the fourth. He looked pretty comfortable at two sets to love."
To which Djokovic responded: "I don't know why the people think that I'm always having something, which is absolutely wrong because I haven't asked for medical or physio timeout for a long time."

Australian Open, 2009:
Djokovic relinquished his Australian Open crown when he quit his quarter-final contest with Andy Roddick while trailing 6-7, 6-4, 6-2, 2-1 in the searing heat in Melbourne.

What he said: “I had cramping and soreness in my whole body. I tried my best but you cannot fight your own body.”

Monte Carlo, April 2008:
Breathing problems cut short his semi-final contest with Roger Federer when he was a set and a break down in the second.

What he said: "I didn't feel good for the last three days. I've been waking up with a sore throat. The doctor in the tournament couldn't give me the right diagnosis."

Davis Cup, February 2008:
Dizziness was to blame for Djokovic's withdrawal in Serbia's first-round tie with Russia. The Serb was two sets and 3-0 up in his singles rubber against Nikolay Davydenko but retired after losing the third set 6-4 to hand hosts Russia an unassailable 3-1 lead.

What he said: "I stopped because I didn't want to risk my health. I didn't go to hospital after all but still, I was feeling very dizzy. I was losing a lot of energy. It's not easy to play when you have a virus infection."

Wimbledon, 2007:
An infected blister on the little toe of his left foot was the reason behind his withdrawal against second seed Rafael Nadal. Djokovic, who was trailing 3-6, 6-1, 4-1 handed the Spaniard a final showdown with Roger Federer in the process.

What he said: "I didn't sleep during the night because I had a lot of bleeding and everything, so I was barely walking this morning,"

French Open, 2006:
A lower back complaint proved just too much for Djokovic to bear as he gifted reigning champion Nadal a place in the semi-finals with his withdrawal in the third set.

What he said: "I was only serving at 40 or 50 per cent maximum. I don't think it would have been good for me to continue playing with the pain in my back. This is not the only tournament in the year."

Courtesy: The Telegraph

No comments:

Post a Comment