Wednesday 17 November 2010

Andy Murray targets improvement in 2011


Andy Murray admits he will be making changes to his game over the close-season after struggling to maintain any consistency this year.

Murray picked up two Masters titles in Toronto and Shanghai after enduring a difficult season, failing to rediscover his form following his Australian Open final defeat to Federer in January. But after his leanest season since 2007, he is determined to make adjustments to his game ahead of the 2011 season.

"Things could have been better and things could have been worse," Murray told the Evening Standard. "I'm disappointed by my inconsistency. Next year, I definitely have to improve my consistency.

"Apart from the consistency I need to be more scientific and professional. When I was 16 I thought I was very professional and when I was 18 I thought I was as fit as I could be. I've improved both things massively and there are still tweaks that can be made to make me the best I can be."

Murray lines up against the top eight players in the world at the ATP World Tour Masters Finals in London next week, where he will meet world No. 2 Roger Federer in the round-robin stages, although he has avoided having to face world No. 1 Rafael Nadal until at least the semi-finals.

But rather than fear them, he insists it is a privilege to play alongside two men who can lay claim to being two of the greatest players to grace a tennis court.

Murray has won four of his 12 meetings against Nadal, but has a winning record against Federer, having won eight of their 13 encounters. And while the Scot remains on the hunt for his maiden grand slam, he believes that when he finally achieves his goal, it will be all the more special if he has beaten the pair on the way.

"It's great, genuinely," Murray said. "I've played Nadal 14 or 15 times and Federer 13 times I think, and not many people have had the chance to do that. Having them around makes your achievements even greater as they are the best who have ever played the game."

Courtesy: ESPN

No comments:

Post a Comment