Monday 25 October 2010

Viktor Troicki

As Viktor is now a ATP World Tour title winner the ATP have put together a "spotlight" on the young Serbian.

Here is the post match interview with him.


This was your third ATP World Tour final, did you approach this final differently than the other two?
I was a little bit more relaxed; I had a little bit more experience in finals. It was not easy to play against Marcos; he is one of the top players. Today I played great and I’m really happy that I won my first time.

How does it feel to win your first career ATP World Tour title?
It feels really unbelievable. I was waiting for this title for a really long time and this has been one of my goals for the past two years. Always when I saw other players winning their first titles, I was like ‘I hope it’s going to happen to me.’ This week it did and I’m really happy about it. I hope I’m not going to stop here. I hope I go for some more titles.

You have been playing well lately, getting to the semi-finals in Tokyo where you had match points against Rafael Nadal, and then winning your first doubles title in Bangkok. Do you feel you are playing the best tennis of your career?
I’m playing really good now. I feel good, I feel confident. I had a great week in Tokyo; I was a little bit unlucky to lose against Nadal, but it was a great match there. Here I got the title and I can say it was some of my best tennis of my career, for sure.

Your father is Russian, does it feel extra special to win your first title in Moscow?
He was born in Serbia, but his parents came from Russia when they were young, so I could say that I’m half-Russian. It means a lot to win in Moscow. I think anywhere would feel great, but in Moscow maybe better, if it couldn't be Belgrade. I always play pretty good here and I’ve always felt good; I hope I’ll come here next year as well.

You dropped the opening set in your first two matches and then won your next two matches in straight sets. Did you feel you were getting better as the week went on and was there a part of your game that you were most pleased with that enabled you to win the title?
What I learned from this tournament is you should never give up. I was 7-5, 3-0 down in the first round against [Dmitry] Tursunov and came back fighting in that match. Today I won the title. So, this is, for sure, what I’ve learned in this week. From match to match I was playing better and better. It worked out for me, so I feel good now.

Now that you have won your first ATP World Tour title, what other goals do you have?
The Davis Cup final. We are going to go for the title. It would be a highlight of all our careers. For our whole country it would be great.

What are your thoughts on playing France at home in December in the Davis Cup final? What would winning the Davis Cup title mean for your country?
Well Serbia has had world champions a lot of time in basketball, volleyball, water polo; we have a big sports tradition. It would be the first time in tennis. At the moment, tennis is really popular in Serbia and people are really looking forward to the final. I think it would be huge if we won it. It’s not going to be easy, definitely. They (France) have great players, but we are playing at home in front of 20,000 people and we are really hoping for the win. We will try everything to win it.

Is there anyone who has been an influence in your career to help you get where you are today?
First I would like to thank my parents; they made it possible for me to play tennis in the toughest times in Serbia. They gave nearly everything they had for me to play tennis and I owe them everything.
The next person is my first coach, Nenad Trifunovic, who I worked with since I was five. He helped me a lot, not just in tennis, but in life also. The other person is Milos Jelisavcic, who is my physio and conditioning trainer who is here with me, he helped me a lot. Also my coach right now, Jan de Witt, who is German and he helped me a lot. We started working together four years ago and since then my game has really improved; he has really helped me a lot in my tennis.

Courtesy: ATP

No comments:

Post a Comment